Private Stock Cheddar
Aged up to 16 months. It's not only age that separates our cheddars, but character as well. For Cabot Private Stock, we hand-select the cheeses with the smoothest texture and cleanest cheddar flavor, then gently age them. The result is what some of our long-time customers call the ''best of the best''. Full-flavored yet elegantly refined, this is one of the most velvety, natural cheddars you'll ever experience. Simply the smoothest extra sharp around.
You can choose from three different size options below:
- 8 oz. Waxed Bar
- 1 lb. Waxed Brick
- 3 lb. Waxed Block
Vermont Cheddar Gougères with Smoked Salmon Filling
- 1 cup water
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) Cabot Salted Butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4 large eggs
- 6 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, Extra Sharp Cheddar, Seriously Sharp Cheddar or Private Stock Cheddar, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 8 ounces Cabot Vermont Premium Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 -1 cup finely minced smoked salmon*
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- About 3 tablespoons Cabot Regular Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
To make gougères:
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In saucepan, heat water, butter, salt and sugar until butter is melted.
3. Add flour all at once and stir vigorously until mixture breaks away from side of pan and forms smooth ball.
4. Remove from heat and let rest for two minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time, stirring quickly so egg doesn't cook, until dough is firm, smooth and waxy.
5. Add all of cheddar, all but 2 tablespoons of Parmesan, mustard and red pepper, and stir until well blended.
6. Transfer mixture to a pastry bag fitted with large plain tip. Pipe dough into two dozen small round mounds, evenly separated. Sprinkle tops with remaining Parmesan.
7. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F and bake for 20 to 25 minutes longer or until completely golden brown.
To make filling:
1. Beat together cream cheese, salmon, chives and hot sauce.
2. Stir in sour cream to achieve proper consistency for filling. Stir in red peppers.
3. Make small slit in side of each gougère. Scrape filling into pastry bag or plastic bag. Cut off corner and squeeze some of filling into each gougère.
*or use crumbled bacon or minced ham
Recipe courtesy of Liberty Hill Farm, Rochester, VT.